|Prep Time:||1 Hour||Servings:||8 servings||Difficulty:||normal|
- 1 cup polenta
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 6 cups of water
- 1 teaspoon salt
(or you can use pre-made polenta to save on time)
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onions
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon green chillies (optional)
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup kale
- 4 cups chopped fresh spinach
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped walnuts
- Tomato Sauce
- 2 cups diced tomatoes
- 1/2 grated red onion
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian herb mix
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder (optional)
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh basil,
- For the polenta: heat the water in a pot or kettle. Roast the cumin seeds lightly in a sauté pan, add the polenta, and roast for 2 more minutes. Pour hot water gently over the polenta and stir. Cook on low heat for 7-10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the polenta is completely cooked and all water has been absorbed.
- Spread the polenta evenly on a flat dish to about ¾ inch thick. Let it cool completely. With a large round cookie cutter, cut out patties. 8 patties. Set aside.
- For the stuffing: Put the water and onions in a saute pan and cool until soft, 5 to 10 minutes. Let the water cook off completely. Add the ginger, garlic, green chilies, cumin, and salt and cook for another 2 minutes. Add the kale and spinach and cook until the spinach has wilted. Add the walnuts, mix well and cook for another 1 to 2 minutes. Set aside.
- For the tomato sauce: Boil the tomatoes in a pot of water until the skin softens and splits. Drain and cut into fine pieces. Put the onions and garlic into a saute pan and cook with a small amount of water until translucent. Add the Italian herbs, salt, turmeric and chili powder and stir. Add the tomatoes. Cook for 10 minutes and remove from heat.
- Puree the sauce until smooth.
- Return sauce to the saute pan and reheat. Just before serving add the fresh basil.
To assemble the pie: preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Place four of the polenta patties in a baking dish, top with stuffing, divide evenly among patties. Place the remaining patties on top (leave off if for starter) and bake for 20-25 mins. Top with tomato sauce and serve.
- Approximate nutritional information per serving: Protein 5g Total Fat 3g Carbohydrates 25g Calories 142 Sodium 280mg Cholesterol 5mg
- This recipe is from: Forks Over Knives Cookbook by Darshana Thacker
- This recipe was featured at a Fresh Food Friday.