|Prep Time:||15 Min||Servings:||8 servings||Difficulty:||Easy|
- 1 cup Sugar, divided
- 1/3 cup Cornstarch
- 1⁄2 tsp Salt
- 385 mL Evaporated milk
- 1 cup Water
- 3 Lightly beaten egg yolks
- 3 Egg whites
- 1 tsp Vanilla
- 2 Large ripe banana, sliced
- 1 9 inch baked pie shell
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Combine 2/3 cups sugar, cornstarch and salt in a saucepan and heat. Gradually stir in evaporated milk and water.
- Cook while stirring over medium heat until mixture is slightly thickened.
- Beat small amounts of hot mixture into egg yolks and add to saucepan.
- Cook and stir until mixture just begins to bubble and thicken. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla.
- Arrange banana slices over bottom of pie shell.
- Top with hot filling.
- Beat egg whites until frothy; gradually beat in remaining 1/3 cup sugar. Beat until stiff peaks form.
- Spoon egg white mixture over filling, sealing to edge of pie shell.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool, then chill.
Nutritional information per serving: Protein 7.5g Total fat 7.6g Carbohydrates 24.7g Calories 196 Sodium 332mg Cholesterol 78mg