1 just ripe banana (~1/2 cup mashed)
1 1/4 cups unsweetened almond milk
1/2 Tbsp flaxseed
1/4 tsp cinnamon
4-5 slices hearty wheat bread (Sturdy rustic breads do best here. If using sandwich-style bread, soak it for less time)
Optional: 1/2 tsp vanilla extract, 1 Tbsp almond meal for texture, maple syrup/peanut butter for topping
- Mash banana in a large shallow bowl.
- Add almond milk, flaxseed, cinnamon and stir. If your batter appears extremely gloppy, add more almond milk to thin it out. It should be pourable. (Vanilla is optional.)
- Let batter rest for 5 minutes while you preheat your griddle or skillet to medium heat.
- Once your surface is hot, coat generously with vegan butter or coconut oil (I used Earth Balance because I like the flavor).
- Dip your slices of bread into the batter and let it rest for 5-10 seconds on each side, using your fingers to make sure it’s fully submerged. Transfer immediately to griddle. An optional step is to sprinkle the freshly-dipped sides with a little almond meal for added texture.
- Cook for 3-4 minutes on each side or until evenly golden brown. Flip carefully using a sturdy spatula as the banana mixture can be a bit sticky if you’re not gentle. If your french toast appears to be browning too quickly or burning, turn down your griddle.
- Serve immediately with desired toppings.