|Prep Time:||20 Min||Servings:||4 servings||Difficulty:||very easy|
- 1⁄4 cup Pearl barley
- 1 tbsp Non-hydrogenated margarine or vegan butter
- 4 cup Reduced sodium chicken or vegetable broth
- 1⁄2 Tomato, diced
- 2 cup Mushrooms, sliced
- 2 cup Kale, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup Onion, chopped
- 1 clove Garlic, chopped
- Bring 11⁄2 cups water to boil in saucepan. Add barley, cover, and reduce heat. Simmer 20 minutes until liquid is absorbed and barley is tender but not mushy.
- Heat margarine in large saucepan over medium heat, add mushrooms and onion. Cook 4 to 5 minutes until vegetables are tender. Add in garlic and cook 1 minute more.
- Stir in broth, diced tomato and cooked barley. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat to low. Cover and cook 15 minutes. Add chopped kale and simmer 5 minutes more until kale is tender.
Nutritional information per serving: Protein 5g Total fat 3.5g Carbohydrates 14.5g Calories 100 Sodium 74.1mg Cholesterol 5.2mg