- 6 tbsp. ground flax seeds
- ½ cup warm water
- 2 cups cane sugar (or light brown sugar)
- ½ cup oil
- ½ cup applesauce
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 to 2½ cups grated zucchini (~3 medium-sized ones)
- 3 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 tbsp. baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 1 tbsp. cinnamon
- 2 tsp nutmeg (optional)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup chocolate chips or raisins, optional
1. Grease two loaf pans.
2. Mix together flax seeds and warm water.
3. Add sugar, oil, applesauce, and vanilla; beat well.
4. Add grated zucchini; stir until combined.
5. In a separate bowl, sift together remaining dry ingredients.
6. Add dry mixture to wet and stir just until dry ingredients are moistened and everything is incorporated evenly; some lumps are fine. If adding additional mix-ins, fold them in now. Divide batter between prepared pans.
7. Bake at 350ºF for 50-55 minutes, or until knife inserted in center of loaf comes out clean. Let cool a few minutes before slicing.