Prep time: 1 hour
- 1 loaf of unsliced day-old bread
- 4 Tbsp of canola oil
- 2 garlic cloves crushed
- 3 tomatoes diced
- ½ Cup diced peppers
- ½ Cup diced cucumber
- 250g/ 9 oz bocconcini (fresh mozzarella) cut in small chucks
- 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 4 Tbsp balsamic vinegar reduction
- 4 Tbsp herbs
1. Pre-heat oven to 350 F or 180 C
2. Prepare four bread boxes – remove crusts from bread and cut into for even pieces. Using a serrated knife cut a square from the centre of the cube of bread, leaving a border about 1.5 cm.
3. Combine canola oil and garlic to brush boxes with (croustades).
4. Place on baking tray and cook 20 minutes or until golden brown and crisp.
5. While baking, combine tomatoes, bocconcini, peppers, cucumber in a bowl.
6. Add extra virgin olive oil, salt and pepper to taste then stir in herbs (basil, thyme, oregano) to bowl and let sit 30 minutes minimum
7. Spoon mixture onto croustades’ on individual plates, allowing excess to tumble over sides.
8. Drizzle balsamic reduction over each serving to finish
Optional: Add 2 Tbsp of capers to add zing or replace bocconcini with shards of parmesan/romano for a sharper flavour