Prep time: 1 hour
- 1 loaf of unsliced day-old bread
- 4 tbsp. of canola oil
- 2 garlic cloves crushed
- 3 tomatoes diced
- ½ cup diced peppers
- ½ cup diced cucumber
- 250g/ 9 oz. bocconcini (fresh mozzarella) cut in small chucks
- 1 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 4 tbsp. balsamic vinegar reduction
- 4 tbsp. herbs
1. Pre-heat oven to 350ºF or 180ºC.
2. Prepare four bread boxes – remove crusts from bread and cut into four even pieces. Using a serrated knife cut a square from the center of the cube of bread, leaving a border about 1.5 cm.
3. Combine canola oil and garlic to brush boxes with (croustades).
4. Place on a baking tray and cook for 20 minutes or until golden brown and crisp.
5. While baking, combine tomatoes, bocconcini, peppers, and cucumber in a bowl.
6. Add extra virgin olive oil, salt and pepper to taste then stir in herbs (basil, thyme, oregano) to bowl and let sit 30 minutes minimum.
7. Spoon mixture onto croustades’ on individual plates, allowing excess to tumble over sides.
8. Drizzle balsamic vinegar reduction over each serving to finish.
Optional: Add 2 tbsp. of capers to add zing or replace bocconcini with shards of parmesan/romano cheese for a sharper flavor.