- 24 large button mushrooms
- Non-stick cooking spray
- 3 tbsp. green onions, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 4 oz. 50% less-fat pork sausage
- 1⁄2 tsp crushed red pepper
- 1⁄4 tsp sea salt
- 1/8 tsp black pepper
- 1⁄4 cup low-fat cream cheese, softened
- 1⁄4 cup dry breadcrumbs
- 3 tbsp. parmesan cheese, grated
1. Preheat oven to 400ºF.
2. Clean mushrooms with paper towel and remove stems. When done, finely chop stems.
3. Coat a large non-stick skillet with non-stick cooking spray and heat over medium-high heat. Add onions and garlic sauté for 1 minute. Add sausage and cook until browned, stirring to crumble.
4. Add the reserved mushrooms stems, red pepper, salt, and black pepper to the skillet. Sauté for 2 minutes or until stems become tender.
5. Remove the skillet from heat and stir in cream cheese and breadcrumbs. Then stuff 1 tablespoon of the sausage mixture into each mushroom cap.
6. Arrange mushroom caps in a 13×9 inch baking dish coated with non-stick cooking spray and sprinkle evenly with parmesan.
7. Bake for 30 minutes or until lightly golden and thoroughly heated.
Nutritional information per serving (2 caps): Calories 64 Protein 4g Total fat 3.3g Carbohydrates 4.5g Sodium 159 mg Cholesterol 11mg