Prep time: 1 hour
- 1 cup polenta
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 6 cups of water
- 1 teaspoon salt
(or you can use pre-made polenta to save on time)
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onions
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon green chillies (optional)
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup kale
- 4 cups chopped fresh spinach
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped walnuts
- Tomato Sauce
- 2 cups diced tomatoes
- 1/2 grated red onion
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian herb mix
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder (optional)
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh basil,
1. For the polenta: heat the water in a pot or kettle. Roast the cumin seeds lightly in a sauté pan, add the polenta, and roast for 2 more minutes. Pour hot water gently over the polenta and stir. Cook on low heat for 7-10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the polenta is completely cooked and all water has been absorbed.
2. Spread the polenta evenly on a flat dish to about ¾ inch thick. Let it cool completely. With a large round cookie cutter, cut out patties. 8 patties. Set aside.
3. For the stuffing: Put the water and onions in a saute pan and cool until soft, 5 to 10 minutes. Let the water cook off completely. Add the ginger, garlic, green chilies, cumin, and salt and cook for another 2 minutes. Add the kale and spinach and cook until the spinach has wilted. Add the walnuts, mix well and cook for another 1 to 2 minutes. Set aside.
4. For the tomato sauce: Boil the tomatoes in a pot of water until the skin softens and splits. Drain and cut into fine pieces. Put the onions and garlic into a saute pan and cook with a small amount of water until translucent. Add the Italian herbs, salt, turmeric and chili powder and stir. Add the tomatoes. Cook for 10 minutes and remove from heat.
5. Puree the sauce until smooth.
6. Return sauce to the saute pan and reheat. Just before serving add the fresh basil.
7. To assemble the pie: preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Place four of the polenta patties in a baking dish, top with stuffing, divide evenly among patties. Place the remaining patties on top (leave off if for starter) and bake for 20-25 mins. Top with tomato sauce and serve.
- Approximate nutritional information per serving: Protein 5g Total Fat 3g Carbohydrates 25g Calories 142 Sodium 280mg Cholesterol 5mg
- This recipe is from: Forks Over Knives Cookbook by Darshana Thacker
- This recipe was featured at a Fresh Food Friday.