6 tbsp ground flax seeds
½ c warm water
2 c cane sugar (or light brown sugar)
½ c oil
½ c applesauce
1 tsp vanilla
2 to 2½ c grated zucchini (~3 medium-sized ones)
3 c whole wheat flour
1 tbsp baking powder
½ tsp baking soda
1 tbsp cinnamon
2 tsp nutmeg (optional)
1 tsp salt
1 c chocolate chips or raisins, optional
1. Grease two loaf pans.
2. Mix together flax seeds and warm water.
3. Add sugar, oil, applesauce, and vanilla; beat well.
4. Add grated zucchini; stir until combined.
5. In a separate bowl, sift together remaining dry ingredients.
6. Add dry mixture to wet and stir just until dry ingredients are moistened and everything is incorporated evenly; some lumps are fine. If adding additional mix-ins, fold them in now. Divide batter between prepared pans.
7. Bake at 350 for 50-55 minutes, or until knife inserted in center of loaf comes out clean. Let cool a few minutes before slicing.