1 just ripe banana (~1/2 cup mashed)
1 1/4 cups unsweetened almond milk
1/2 tbsp. flaxseed
1/4 tsp cinnamon
4-5 slices hearty wheat bread (Sturdy rustic breads work best here. If using a sandwich-style type of bread, soak it for less time)
Optional: 1/2 tsp vanilla extract, 1 tbsp. almond meal for texture, maple syrup/peanut butter for topping.
- Mash banana in a large shallow bowl.
- Add almond milk, flaxseed, cinnamon and stir. If your batter appears extremely gloppy, add more almond milk to thin it out. It should be pourable. (Vanilla is optional.)
- Let batter rest for 5 minutes while you preheat your griddle or skillet to medium heat.
- Once your surface is hot, coat generously with vegan butter or coconut oil (I used Earth Balance because I like the flavor).
- Dip your slices of bread into the batter and let rest for about 5-10 seconds on each side. Use your fingers to ensure the bread slices are completely submerged inside the batter. Transfer immediately to the griddle. Optional: sprinkle the freshly dipped sides with a little almond meal for added texture.
- Cook for 3-4 minutes on each side or until evenly golden brown. Flip carefully using a sturdy spatula, as the banana mixture can be a bit sticky if you’re not gentle. If your French toast appears to be browning too quickly or burning, turn down the heat on your griddle.
- Serve immediately with desired toppings.