- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and halved
- 1 yellow or orange bell pepper, seeded and halved
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced into rings
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp. fresh basil leaves, chopped
- 3 medium potatoes
- 1 cup low-fat sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 cup liquid egg substitute
- 1⁄2 cup evaporated 2% milk
1. Preheat broiler and lightly spray 1 medium and 1 small baking pan with non-stick cooking spray. Place pepper cut side down in a medium pan. Combine onions, olive oil, and garlic in a small pan. Place both pans under broiler. Broil the onions for 5 minutes and the peppers until they begin to blister and char.
2. Reduce oven temperature to 375°F. Transfer onion mixture to a medium bowl and set aside.
3. Microwave potatoes for 5 minutes on high.
4. Let peppers sit until cool enough to handle. Using a paring knife, peel off and discard skins. Slice into strips. Add the peppers to the bowl with onions, along with the basil. Mix well.
5. Peel potatoes and slice into 1⁄4 inch thick rounds.
6. To assemble the quiche, spray an 8-inch round pan with non-stick cooking spray. Layer half the potatoes over the bottom of the pan, then top with half the pepper mixture, followed by half the cheese. Repeat layering.
7. In a medium bowl: whisk together egg substitute, milk, thyme, salt, and pepper. Pour over vegetables and bake uncovered for 35-40 minutes until the quiche is firm to touch and the cheese is golden brown. Let stand for 10 minutes before slicing.
Nutritional information per serving: Protein 13g Total fat 4.8g Carbohydrates 26.3g Calories 194 Sodium 424.mg Cholesterol 15mg