Prep time: 40 minutes
- 2 sweet green peppers
- 1⁄4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 sweet red pepper
- 28 oz. canned tomatoes
- 1 tbsp. canola oil
- 2 -19 oz. canned black beans
- 2 potatoes
- 2 chipotle peppers minced
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 tbsp. adobo sauce
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1⁄2 tsp dried oregano
- 1⁄2 tsp salt
- 1⁄2 tsp ground cumin
- Coriander sprigs (optional)
1. Preheat oven to broil.
2. Peel and cut potatoes into cubes, chop onions and mince garlic. Set aside.
3. Halve and seed peppers. Place on baking sheet skin side-up and broil till blackened.
4. Transfer to a bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and let stand for 15 minutes.
5. Peel off skins, chop, and set aside.
6. In a Dutch oven, heat oil over medium heat. Add potatoes, onion, garlic, cumin, salt, and cinnamon. Cook until onion is softened.
7. Add 1 cup water. Cover and let simmer until potatoes are tender, for about 10 minutes.
8. Drain tomatoes, set the juice aside, and cut the tomatoes into quarters.
9. Drain canned beans and rinse.
10. Add the tomatoes, tomato juice, beans, chipotle peppers, adobo sauce, reserved peppers plus any juices, and oregano to the pot.
11. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer until thickened, for about 30 minutes. Garnish with coriander sprigs, if desired.
Nutritional information per serving: Protein 16g Total fat 5g Carbohydrates 66g Calories 354 Sodium 827mg Cholesterol 0mg