Prep time: 40 minutes
- 2 cup Yellow cornmeal
- 1⁄2 lb. Fresh okra
- 1⁄4 tsp Pepper
- 1⁄4 cup Non-hydrogenated margarine or vegan butter
- 1 tsp Salt
- 3 cup Water
1. Clean and wash okra and dice all but 6. Add 3 cups of water to a large saucepan. Add salt and bring to a boil. Add diced and whole okra.
2. Boil okra for 5-8 minutes. Remove pan from heat. Set whole cooked okra aside for garnish. Measure 2 cups of liquid from the cooked okra to use for cooking the cou-cou.
3. Mix cornmeal in a large bowl with 1 cup cold water to moisten and blend it together. Stir the cornmeal slowly into the reserved liquid and okra in the pot. Use a wooden spoon to mix together.
4. Return pot to stove over medium heat, add margarine and continue to stir okra and cornmeal. Cook and stir for about 15-20 minutes.
5. Insert wooden spoon into centre of the cou-cou. If spoon stands up in the pot and is easily removed from cornmeal cou-cou is done.
6. Cou-cou should be firm when it’s done. If the cou-cou is loose and creamy looking, you have used too much water. If too much water is used, let cou-cou stand uncovered over low heat to “dry out.”
7. When cou-cou is done turn the entire mixture into a buttered serving bowl and garnish with whole okra.
Nutritional information per serving: Protein 3.9g Total fat 9.2g Carbohydrates 33.5g Calories 225 Sodium 515mg Cholesterol .02mg