Compared to most cheeses, ricotta is a healthier choice because it contains less salt and fat - 10 per cent fat, of which 6 per cent is saturated. It's light and creamy with a slightly grainy texture and delicate flavour that can be used on its own or in sweet and savoury dishes. This white cheese is loaded with protein. The high-quality whey found in ricotta may promote muscle growth and help lower blood pressure.
- 1-16 oz block (about 396g) firm or extra firm tofu, drained but not pressed
- 1/4 cup unfortified nutritional yeast
- Juice of 1 large lemon (to taste)
- 2 tbsp non-dairy milk (unsweetened)
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 3/4 tsp salt (to taste)
- It’s easiest to make this ricotta using a food processor or blender (with a pulse option), but you can use a fork instead To make with a fork, simply mash the tofu with the back of your fork in a bowl until its the texture you desire
- Add everything to the blender or food processor and pulse until it’s the texture you like. Just a little textured, slightly spongy, and totally like the ricotta.
Refrigerate in an airtight container for up to 6 days.
Or just buy a tub…
- 1 cup part-skim ricotta cheese
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh basil or 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 tablespoon capers, drained
- 1 tablespoon chopped Greek olives
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 4 medium zucchini
- In a small bowl, mix the first 9 ingredients.
- Slice zucchini lengthwise into twenty-four 1/8-in.-thick slices. On a greased grill rack, cook zucchini in batches, covered, over medium heat. Grill until tender, 2-3 minutes on each side. 1
- Place 1 tablespoon ricotta mixture on the end of each zucchini slice. Roll up and secure each with a toothpick
- 8 cannoli shells, store bought will work
- 2 cups ricotta cheese
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar, plus extra for dusting
- ½ cup dried fruit chopped
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
2 teaspoons fresh orange zest
- Place the ricotta cheese into a fine mesh strainer and press to remove some moisture
- In a large bowl combine the drained ricotta cheese, confectioners' sugar, dried fruits, vanilla extract, and orange zest (if using); mix well. And let sit over night
Dessert Prep before your guests arrive
- Using a small spoon
- Put filling into one end of cannoli shell, filling shell halfway, put in other end. Repeat with remaining shells.
- You can add a piece of cherry or sprinkle a bit of cinnamon on the ends for colour
- Lightly dust with confectioner's sugar. Serve at once.
The filling may be made and stored in the fridge for up to 24 hours. Once the cannoli shells have been filling, serve them right away. Cannolis are best eaten the day they are made!