- 3 acorn squash, halved lengthwise and seeded
- 2/3 cup quick-cooking barley
- 2 tsp canola oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 celery, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 3 oz. mushrooms, sliced
- 1⁄4 cup fresh parsley, chopped or 2 tsp dried and crushed
- 1 cup coarse fresh bread crumbs
- 2/3 cup dried cranberries
- 1 tsp grated lemon peel
- 1⁄4 tsp salt
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable broth or apple juice
1. Preheat oven to 400ºF.
2. With a large sharp knife, carefully cut the squash in half lengthwise. Use a spoon to scrape out the seeds and strings from each half.
3. Place the squash cut side up on a baking sheet and coat the cut sides lightly with non-stick cooking spray. Bake for 30 minutes or until tender when pierced with a fork.
4. Prepare the barley as per package directions.
5. Heat the oil in a non-stick skillet over medium heat.
6. Add onion, celery, and garlic. Cook for 2 minutes. Add mushrooms and parsley and cook for 4 minutes or until the mushrooms are soft. Remove from heat.
7. Stir in bread crumbs, cranberries, lemon peel, salt, and barley. Add up to 1⁄2 cup of broth to moisten and bind the stuffing. Use less if necessary.
8. Reduce the oven temperature to 350°F and spoon the stuffing into the squash halves. Bake for 10 minutes or until heated through.
Nutritional information per serving: Protein 6g Total fat 3g Carbohydrates 53g Calories 250 Sodium 200mg Cholesterol 0mg