- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 cup buttermilk or soured milk
- 1/2 cup liquid egg substitute
- 1/3 cup low-fat sour cream
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 jalapeno pepper, minced
- 1/2 cup frozen corn kernels, thawed
- 2 oz. reduced-fat cheddar cheese, diced
1. Preheat oven to 400ºF.
2. Lightly coat a 9x9 inch baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
3. In a large bowl, whisk together the cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt and black pepper. Make a well in the center of the bowl.
4. In a small bowl, whisk together the buttermilk, egg substitute, sour cream, oil, jalapeno pepper, corn and cheese. Pour into the well in the flour mixture and stir until just combined. Do not overmix.
5. Pour the batter into the prepared baking dish. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let cool slightly in the pan on a rack.
6. Slice and serve warm or at room temperature.
Nutritional information per serving: Protein 4g Total fat 6g Carbohydrates 32g Calories 193 Sodium 130mg Cholesterol 18mg