|Prep Time:||30Min||Servings:||4 servings||Difficulty:||Medium|
- 1⁄2 lb. Lean ground pork or turkey
- 11⁄2 tsp Canola oil
- 1 Medium onion, chopped
- 1 Jalapeño pepper, seeded and chopped
- 2 cloves Garlic, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup Fresh or canned diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 tsp Ground cumin
- 1 tsp Dried oregano
- 1 tsp Paprika
- 1⁄2 tsp Red pepper flakes
- 1⁄2 tsp Salt
- 1⁄2 cup Water
- 1⁄2 cup Dried apricots, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 cup Pitted black olives, chopped
- 14 oz. Frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 1 Egg, separated
- 1 tbsp Milk
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Lightly spray a baking sheet with non-stick cooking spray.
- Heat a non-stick skillet over medium-high heat and sauté pork until no pink remains. Drain and set aside.
- In the same skillet sauté onion, jalapeño and garlic in oil for 3-4 minutes.
- Add tomatoes and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Stir in spices, salt, water, apricots, reserved pork and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Stir in olives and set aside to cool.
- Roll half the pastry into a 12 inch square. Cut nine 4 inch circles.
- Re-roll scraps and cut 3 more circles.
- Brush edges of circles with egg white, spoon 2 teaspoons of the filling in the centre of the pastry, fold over and press edges to seal. Crimp edges with a fork. Brush with a mixture of egg yolk and milk.
- Place on baking sheet, prick tops of empanadas twice with a fork and bake for 15 minutes. Serve hot. Makes 24.
Nutritional information per serving: Protein 3.5g Total fat 9.8g Carbohydrates 10.5g Calories 143 Sodium 100.5mg Cholesterol 9.7mg