Dr. Stafford W. Dobbin, a graduate of Queens University Belfast, founded Heart Niagara in 1977. He established the first Department of Emergency Services in Niagara at the Greater Niagara General Hospital in 1976. Through Heart Niagara he initiated the teaching of Citizen Cardio-Pulmonary Resuscitation in Niagara and of Advanced Cardiac Life Support for Critical care personnel prior to the establishment of the Regional Paramedic programme. His initial design for Heart Niagara included a Cardiac Rehabilitation Programme for survivors of Cardiac events staffed by qualified Physicians and Nurses for which he was the Medical Director to 2002. And through Heart Niagara he started the Niagara Schools’ Healthy Heart Programme in 1987 and is the Medical Director. His EMS system for coverage of Mass Participation events was first used at the US Olympic Marathon trials in 1980 and he served on the first Executive of the International Marathon Directors Association. He is presently a partner in the Niagara Medical Group, a Family Health Team, in Niagara Falls.
Stafford Worrell Dobbin 1942-2020August 25, 2020 - Dr. Stafford Worrell Dobbin, much loved and cherished husband to Susan moved on into the loving arms of God, much loved son-in-law to Eileen Kennedy. His dear parents Stafford and Jean passed on before him. Churchyard service at Hillsborough Parish Church to place his ashes with those of his parents in Hillsborough, Northern Ireland at a future time. In memory of Stafford if so desired consider The Niagara Schools Healthy Heart Programme of Heart Niagara which he so believed in.
Stafford Dobbin Building A Community One Year at a Time
- Founder member Canadian Association of Emergency Physicians and initiated The Department of Emergency Medicine, Greater Niagara General Hospital 1976; (Director to until 1988.)
- He founded Heart Niagara Inc. 1977, with first structured CPR, ACLS (1978) Paramedic ACLS (1979) and ATLS certification in the Region.
- Established Base Hospital at GNGH in 1981 and Emergency Medical Services Committee.
- He started Niagara Regional Cardiac Rehabilitation program at YMCA (Exec 1976-1984 and Medical Director to until 2002.) Medical Consultant to NRCRP sites in Niagara Falls, Fort Erie, St. Catharines and Welland (2002-2007).
- Initiated Marathon Medical Services, Skylon Marathon (1978)
- Founder Member and Executive International Marathon Medical Directors Association from 1984. Medical Director US Olympic Marathon Trials 1980 and 1984, World Masters Games, Toronto, 1985.
- Staff Physician Boston Athletic Association and Boston Marathon
- Founder Member Canadian Academy of Sports Medicine
- Founder and Medical Director of The Niagara Schools Healthy Heart Project for all Grade 9 Students in the Niagara Region (1987) and Niagara Elementary Schools CPR teaching program
Community Service Recorded (but not limited to):
- Citizen CPR teaching to all Regional target groups: public safety agencies, sports clubs, schools, lifeguards, families of cardiac rehabilitation patients and participating citizens.
- 1979: Niagara Parks Commission, Medical Staffing for Ring Around the Falls.
- 1978-1987: Medical coverage of Skylon International Marathon and Buffalo-Niagara Falls International Marathon. Establishment of Medical team for coverage of all Mass Participation events sports, entertainment, community.
- 1980: medical coverage US Olympic Marathon Trials
- 1984: Medical coverage US Olympic Marathon trials and Medical protocols for 1984 Los Angeles Olympics.
- Medical coverage for World Masters Games in Toronto.
- 1980-1994: Medical coverage for St. Catharines, “Run for the Grapes.”
- 1985-1999: Medical coverage for Fort Erie Friendship Festival.
- 1983-2000: Medical coverage for Niagara Falls Terry Fox Run
- 1990-2007: Medical coverage Regional Tour de Niagara Cycle events.
- 1997-2010: Medical Advisor to Niagara Heart health Project and Healthy Living Niagara
- 1997-2000: Administration of Niagara Dragon Boat Races
- 1998-2002: Planning, administration, and coverage of Casino Niagara International Marathon.
- 2002 -2020: AED placement and training at multiple sites (800+) in Niagara Peninsula.
- 2005-2009: Niagara on the Move strategy
- 2009-2012: Initiation, administration, and resources to establish a Niagara Sports Commission.
- Administration and support for Niagara Community Medical Centre.
Awards – Stafford W. Dobbin MB, BCh, BaO, FCFP
- Awarded Glen Sawyer Medal, OMA 1998
- Ontario Medal for Good Citizenship 2002
- Paul Harris Fellow Niagara Falls Rotary Club 2010
- Paul Harris Fellow Rotary Club of St. Catharines 2011
Research and Publications
- 1980 CMAJ HNI
- HHSP Publications updated 2020.08
- Dr. Dobbin’s Report case statement for schools
- Doctor is all Heart 04.23.07
- Niagara Network Spring 1987
- Doctor Spends lifetime in the ranks of volunteers 05.15.05
- Toronto Sun 12.11.11 Heart of the Matter
Letters from Dr. Dobbin
- Dear Heart
- Frank Pantridge the Father
- How to Live a Healthier Life
- Quit Smoking, Eat Nutritiously, Stay Active
- Reducing Heart Disease 2002
- The Bogalusa Study
- Dr. Dobbin on Referrals to HHSP May 3rd 2008
- September 2010 Coronary Heart Disease
- December 31 smokers blow off new labels Toronto Star
- The snow job of heart disease
- It is February again 2020
September 28, 2006
Speech to Heart Niagara Cardiac Rehabilitation Programme Volunteer Physicians by Dr Stafford Dobbin on the 28th anniversary of the programme.
Interviews with Dr. Dobbin
- All about imagination
- Eat an elephant one bite at a time
- Make every day an active day
- Parents set a great example