In 2015-2016, Heart Niagara has received a Spark Advocacy Grant which allowed us to work with schools to implement healthier fundraising initiatives.
Congratulations to the District School Board of Niagara’s Victoria Public School for winning our 2015-2016 Healthy School Award! The students, staff, parents, and volunteers of Victoria have consistently demonstrated their commitment to a healthier school environment by investing their time and resources into better nutrition, physical activity, and emergency preparedness.
Practical Resources for Teachers, Parents, and Volunteers
- Sweet Deals: School Fundraising Can Be Healthy and Profitable – CSPI
- Healthy Fundraising for Schools: A Practical Guide for Parents and Educators – Dash! BC
- Healthy Fundraisers – Action for Healthy Kids
- Fundraising the Healthy Way – Alberta Health Services
- Healthy School Fundraising – Nutrition Tools for Schools
- Fresh from the Farm – Ontario Pilot Project
Articles on the Importance of Healthy Fundraising
- Schools and Nutrition Position Statement – Heart and Stroke Foundation
- It’s Time to Put an End to Junk Food Fundraising – Dr. Yoni Freedhoff, U.S. News
- Junk-Food Fundraisers Undercut School Nutrition Movement – Esther J. Cepeda, mySA
Do you have suggestions for additional resources? Send them our way for consideration!
This project was made possible through funding from the Heart and Stroke Foundation.