|Prep Time:||35 Min||Servings:||6 servings||Difficulty:||Medium|
- 3 Acorn squash, halved lengthwise and seeded
- 2/3 cup Quick-cooking barley
- 2 tsp Canola oil
- 1 Small onion, chopped
- 1 Celery, chopped
- 1 clove Garlic, chopped
- 3 oz. Mushrooms, sliced
- 1⁄4 cup Fresh parsley, chopped or 2 tsp dried and crushed
- 1 cup Coarse fresh bread crumbs
- 2/3 cup Dried cranberries
- 1 tsp Grated lemon peel
- 1⁄4 tsp Salt
- 1⁄2 cup Vegetable broth or apple juice
- Preheat oven to 400ºF.
- With a large sharp knife carefully cut the squash in half lengthwise. Use a spoon to scrape out the seeds and strings from each half.
- Place the squash cut side up on a baking sheet and coat the cut sides lightly with non-stick cooking spray. Bake for 30 minutes or until tender when pierced with a fork.
- Prepare the barley as per package directions.
- Heat the oil in a non-stick skillet over medium heat.
- Add onion, celery and garlic. Cook for 2 minutes. Add mushrooms and parsley and cook for 4 minutes or until the mushrooms are soft. Remove from heat.
- Stir in bread crumbs, cranberries, lemon peel, salt and barley. Add up to 1⁄2 cup of broth to moisten and bind the stuffing, use less if necessary.
Reduce the oven temperature to 350°F and spoon the stuffing into the squash halves. Bake for 10 minutes or until heated through.
Nutritional information per serving: Protein 6g Total fat 3g Carbohydrates 53g Calories 250 Sodium 200mg Cholesterol 0mg