|Prep Time:||1 Hour||Servings:||4 servings||Difficulty:||very easy|
- 1 loaf of unsliced day-old bread
- 4 Tbsp of canola oil
- 2 garlic cloves crushed
- 3 tomatoes diced
- ½ Cup diced peppers
- ½ Cup diced cucumber
- 250g/ 9 oz bocconcini (fresh mozzarella) cut in small chucks
- 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 4 Tbsp balsamic vinegar reduction
- 4 Tbsp herbs
- Pre-heat oven to 350 F or 180 C
- Prepare four bread boxes – remove crusts from bread and cut into for even pieces. Using a serrated knife cut a square from the centre of the cube of bread, leaving a border about 1.5 cm. ï¿½
- Combine canola oil and garlic to brush boxes with (croustades).
- Place on baking tray and cook 20 minutes or until golden brown and crisp.
- While baking, combine tomatoes, bocconcini, peppers, cucumber in a bowl.ï¿½
- Add extra virgin olive oil, salt and pepper to taste then stir in herbs (basil, thyme, oregano) to bowl and let sit 30 minutes minimum
- Spoon mixture onto croustades’ on individual plates, allowing excess to tumble over sides.
- Drizzle balsamic reduction over each serving to finish
Additional ideas? Add 2 Tbsp of capers to add zing or replace bocconcini with shards of parmesan/romano for a sharper flavour.