|Prep Time:||15 Min||Servings:||6 servings||Difficulty:||very easy|
- 1 cup Wheat berries
- 1 cup Red onion, chopped
- 2 cup Broccoli, cooked
- 1/4 cup Extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp Balsamic vinegar
- 2 tbsp Lemon juice
- 1 cup Fresh mint, coriander and parsley leaves (optional)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a bowl soak wheat berries for at least 4 hours (overnight is better) in enough cold water to cover by 1 inch.
- Drain and place in saucepan with chopped onion. Add cold water to cover by 2 inches and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer partially covered for 1 hour or until al dente.
- Drain and let cool.
- Microwave broccoli pieces in a sealed dish for 4 minutes.
- In large bowl combine wheat berries and broccoli.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- In a small bowl whisk together olive oil, balsamic vinegar and lemon juice until combined.
- Store salad and dressing separately in fridge. Before serving, toss dressing and fresh herbs into salad.
You can buy wheat berries (kernels) in most health and bulk food stores. You can substitute wheat berries with canned bean medley, and/or grape tomatoes, corn kernels, dried chopped green beans or pomegranate seeds for the broccoli. Toasted sunflower or pumpkin seeds are nice additions
Nutritional information per serving: Protein 2.6g Total Fat 9.9g Carbohydrates 12.8g Calories 147 Sodium 20mg Cholesterol 0mg